If your student has difficulty directly touching the symbols, talk with your Occupational Therapist to help determine the best way for your student to make his/her choice.
Errorless Song Boards:
- Reinforcing choice making by following through with the choice selected.
- Opportunity to model symbols receptively.
- Exposure to expressive use of symbols e.g. You said “babies”. You told me to sing about “babies.”
Wheels on the Bus
Shapes Hokey Pokey
If you’re happy and you know it (Emotions)
Sequencing Song Boards:
- Provides an opportunity to make a mistake in sequencing numbers or verses
- Opportunity to model symbols receptively
- Exposure to expressive use of symbols (fringe vocabulary and core words)
- Concepts may include: numbers, body parts, concepts such as up/down, over, away
Examples:Green and Speckled Frogs
5 Little Ducks
5 Little Monkeys
Farmer and the Dell
Itsy Bitsy Spider
There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly
For more ideas on using song boards, check our our December 2012 issues: I can...sing!